When considering environmental issues, door specifications may
not immediately be high on the agenda. The "typical" traditional
door designs that have served well for over half a century are
still freely available and widely installed.
However, the specifications of these traditional designs,
increasingly, do not satisfy the requirements for more stringent
performance or a preference for the use of sustainably sourced
Whilst internal doors make little contribution to energy
efficiency, they can contribute environmentally. Products are now
available which carry full Chain of Custody or general
The most recognisable of these is arguably FSC, but other CPET
approved schemes such as PEFC are also available.
Choosing an external door
For external applications, thermal efficiency is now the key
requirement within the Building Regulations.
Generally, a basic 44mm thick timber panelled door, of a
traditional design will have a U-value of around 3.0W/m2K. This
product can in most instances be used in replacement or repair
work. However, improved efficiency can be made by changing from
solid timber doors to doors with thermal foam in-fill and/or adding
Low E glazing units.
- Code points are available for responsibly sourced materials
when adhering to the Code for Sustainable Homes.
- Design your building using standard door sizes to save time and
costs on special orders.
- Time and money can be saved on-site by using complete door
- Jewson have a fantastic range of internal and external doors to
suit every home and budget - there is a great range of ironmongery
and security too!
- Quality external doors increase the security of any property
and can reduce heat loss.
- Do your bit for the environment and buy responsibly sourced
Jewson has everything you'll need...
- Special orders; Your local Jewson branch has a full range of
doors to choose from and can provide you with all the technical
information you need. We offer a full bespoke and special order
service and a wide range of door fixings and quality
- Catalogue and displays; Our branches have thousands of doors to
choose from including: interior, exterior, patio and garage. See
our displays or pick up a catalogue.