When choosing windows the two main considerations are normally
performance and security. Window performance is usually measured by
counting the U-value and energy rating.
This measures the rate of heat transfer and the value stated is
for the whole window. High specification glass units with surface
coatings, together with air or inert gas filled double or triple
glazing, will produce lower U-values.
This measures the window's solar gain and air leakage. Ratings
are classified in bands from A to G where A is the best.
Using an insulated cavity closer system to create accurate
window apertures will give an engineered fit for the window. Make
sure the measurements of brickwork apertures is accurate and the
correct size sill is specified. Use ties that fix to the window
jamb and then screw into the brickwork for ease of
The Code for Sustainable Homes promotes security. You can add
more weight to your project proposal by noting the security
performance of your chosen window. Jewson supplies windows that
comply with the requirements of the Police preferred specification,
'Secured by Design'.
Why choose timber windows?
Today, many people prefer real wood windows for both their
visual appeal and flexibility of design. Things to consider when
deciding which window best suits your project include:
- Architectural style - timber windows allow greater flexibility
- A range of fully finished colour options offering low
- Easily maintained or repaired, without the need for long term
- Jewson supplies FSC windows through a national network of
- The use of cavity closers provides a better fit.
- A factory pre-painted finish lasts longer and avoids work
- Hardwood windows give greater durability.
- Wood improves the aesthetic look of the building.
Jewson has everything you'll need...
- Special order; Your local Jewson branch has a full range of
windows to choose from and can provide you with all the technical
information you need. We offer a full bespoke and special order
service and a wide range of window fixings and window sill
- Catalogue and displays; Our branches have thousands of windows
to choose from including: timber, UPVC, sash and 'Secured by
Design'. See our displays or pick up a catalogue.