Suspended Timber Floors
Arguably the most sustainable way of constructing a domestic
upper floor is by using timber or engineered timber as the
structural support with a timber based decking surface. Jewson
offers Chain of Custody timber, as well as a design service to help
with complex floor layouts.
The most traditional way of constructing suspended timber floors
is with solid timber joists. The more modern and far more
sustainable product choice is either a metal-webjoist or I-joist.
Both of these use significantly less timber and create less waste
(Posi-joistsTM) bine the light weight of timber with the
strength of steel web. The Posi-joistTM allows building
designers the freedom to have a variety of internal room layouts
without the constraints of solid and other engineered timber
I-joists, also known as I-beams, are beams with an 'I' or 'H'
shaped cross-section. The horizontal elements are called flanges.
The vertical element is called the web, manufactured to a precise
specification using a high grade softwood flange bonded to an OSB
Safer, cleaner, quieter
It's becoming more common to use film-covered floor sheets.
These should be laid in accordance with the manufacturer's fixing
instructions and provides a safe working platform during
construction, prior to the roof being installed, for a period of up
to 45 days. Glued, they reduce the chance of squeaky floor boards
associated with shrinkage, settlement and loose nailing.
- Cut down on waste and lifting on site with Posi-joists.
- Flooring sheets provide a safer, cleaner, quieter
- Underfloor heating isn't just for downstairs.
- Flooring sheets fixed with adhesive reduce squeaks.
- Timber flooring systems are the environmental choice.
- Alterations and refurbishments are easier with timber
Jewson has everything you'll need...
- Products; Jewson offers a complete range of film-covered,
moisture resistant flooring sheets, chipboard flooring and
floorboards. We offer a bespoke design service for outstanding
quality engineered Posi-joistsTMas well as 'I' and 'H'
- Design Service; Bring your plans into your local Jewson branch
for a quick turnaround design and planning service.