1. The promoter of the Awards is STARK Building Materials UK Limited trading as Jewson (a company registered in England and Wales with company number 01647362 and whose registered office is at Merchant House, Binley Business Park, Harry Weston Road, Coventry, CV3 2TT) (the “Promoter”). Promoter contact details: Making Better Homes Awards, Jewson, Merchant House, Binley Business Park, Coventry, CV3 2TT (Telephone: 01509 410730 or email: email@example.com).
2. The Promoter’s Making Better Homes initiative provides training, support and smart and simple sustainable building products and solutions for its customers to share with their customers. The purpose of the Awards is to recognise building projects which reflect the purposes and aims of Making Better Homes and the builders / businesses who manage and are responsible for the build of those projects.
3. The three Award categories are:
a. Best use of renewable energy in a project
b. Best building fabric in a project
c. Best sustainable project of the year
4. The Promoter reserves the right to change the Award categories and to transfer a nomination from one category to another should it or the judges deem it appropriate and can do so without prior notice to the nominee.
5. These Terms apply to the operation of, and participation in, the Awards.
6. Any person making a nomination for the Awards must be aged 18 or over.
7. A nominated building project and the nominated builder / business responsible for, and directly professionally involved with, the build must be located in England, Scotland or Wales and the building project must have been completed since September 2022. Nominations in respect of Ireland, and nominations in respect of building projects completed prior to September 2022, cannot be accepted.
8. Building projects in relation to the following builders / businesses are not eligible to be short listed in any category in the Awards:
a. those which have their own Jewson account manager;
b. those which benefit from a rebate scheme with the Promoter;
c. those which are land-lorded to a Jewson Civils branch;
d. any employee of the Promoter or its group companies;
e. employees of agents or suppliers of the Promoter or its holding or subsidiary companies, who are professionally connected with the Awards or their administration; or
f. members of the immediate families or households of (d) and (e) above.
If there is any uncertainty as to who is eligible to be nominated, please contact the Jewson Marketing Department at firstname.lastname@example.org whose decision shall be final and binding.
SUBMITTING NOMINATONS FOR THE AWARDS
9. To nominate a building project for a category (or multiple categories) in the Awards an entry form must be completed which includes details of the building project and the builder / business directly professionally involved with the build of that project. A building project can be nominated in more than one category but a separate nomination form must be completed for each category.
10. Nomination forms are available via this link [INSERT] and must be completed in full and submitted electronically.
11. Nominations for the Awards can be submitted between 2 October 2023 and 23 October 2023 (unless the period for nominations is extended by the Promoter in which case the submission period will end no later than 27 October 2023) (inclusive) (Nomination Period). Nominations received after the Nomination Period ends or which are incomplete will be automatically disqualified.
12. The Promoter will not accept:
a. responsibility for nominations that are lost, mislaid, damaged or delayed in transit, regardless of cause, including, for example, as a result of any equipment failure, technical malfunction, systems, satellite, network, server, computer hardware or software failure of any kind; or
b. proof of transmission as proof of receipt of submission of a nomination.
13. Nominations for the Awards can be made by individuals involved with / responsible for a building project or by a third party (e.g. the end customer).
14. By nominating a building project the nominee must ensure that all information provided is accurate and that they have permission to provide all information (including any personal data such as names and address) and images and that they have informed the people involved with the project of the nomination and have their authority to submit the nomination and all information and images included in it to the Promoter on a non-confidential basis which allows the Promoter to use it on social media and in other marketing and PR.
15. There is no charge to submit a nomination for the Awards and no requirement for nominees to be existing customers of the Promoter.
16. Following receipt by the Promoter of a nomination the builder / business nominated for the Awards will receive a confirmation email from the Promoter using the contact details in the nomination explaining they have been entered into the Awards. This email will give the nominee an option to opt-out of the Awards if they do not wish to be entered or do not agree to these Terms.
17. The Promoter may require further information in relation to a nomination in order to verify the existence and nature of the building project, the details provided in the nomination and the identity of the builder / business responsible for the building project. If such information is not provided or the nomination cannot be verified the Promoter reserves the right to disqualify the nomination.
18. The Promoter reserves its right to disqualify nominations if the nature of the building project or the conduct of the builder / business which is the subject of the nomination is contrary to the spirit or intention of the Awards or in the Promoter’s opinion is likely to cause reputational damage to the Promoter or the Awards.
19. The builder / business nominated in respect of a building project can request the nomination be withdrawn at any time before the winners are announced by contacting the Promoter using the contact details in paragraph 1. This must be done if the builder / business does not accept these Terms otherwise they will be deemed accepted.
20. All nominations and any accompanying material submitted to the Promoter will become the property of the Promoter on receipt and will not be returned.
21. If there is any reason to believe that there has been a breach of these Terms, the Promoter may, at its sole discretion, reserve the right to exclude a nomination.
22. Eligible nominations for each category of the Awards will be judged by a panel of judges who will shortlist between 2 and 5 of the nominations to go forward to a public vote. Judging will take place during the week commencing 30 October 2023.
23. The judges may decline to shortlist any nominees in any category if, in their opinion, there are insufficient entries of a winning standard.
24. The decision of the panel of judges (acting reasonably) and where relevant decisions of the Promoter will be final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into. The judges shall be industry or subject matter experts (some of whom may be employees of the Promoter).
25. The Promoter will send the full names of the judges to anyone who emails them (at email@example.com) within one month after the closing date for nominations requesting details of the judges.
26. The Promoter will contact the shortlisted nominees to notify them that they have been shortlisted and to discuss whether they will be attending Jewson Live.
27. The shortlist of nominations will be announced by the Promoter on social media and via other forms of PR (which may include local and trade press) on 13 November 2023 and those nominations will then be open to a public vote on the Promoter’s website (jewson.co.uk) for 2 weeks with voting closing on 27 November 2023. The public vote will only allow one vote per person / email address per category.
28. The Promoter may showcase shortlisted nominees (including information and images relating to the building projects and associated builders / businesses) across its social media channels and via other forms of PR (which may include local and trade press) during the public vote period.
29. The winners of each category of the Awards plus one runner up per category, based on the public vote, will be announced online via the Promoter’s social media channels and via other forms of PR (which may include local / trade press).
30. The decision of the Promoter in respect of the Awards winners and runners up is final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into. The Awards winners and runners up will be the builders / business professionally responsible for the building project and named in the relevant nomination (and not for example the owner of the home in respect of which the building project was carried out).
31. Attendance at Jewson Live is subject to the event terms and conditions.
32. If shortlisted nominees (or a representative of a nominee) are not able to attend Jewson Live to participate in the winner announcement themselves then they may be requested to record a short video which will be shown at Jewson Live.
33. The winner of each category of the Awards (being the shortlisted nomination which receives the most public votes as determined by the Promoter) will receive a £1,000 Jewson account credit and will be provided with a trophy and one runner up from each category (being the shortlisted nomination with the second highest number of votes in the public vote, as determined by the Promoter) will receive £250 Jewson account credit. To receive a Jewson account credit the winner / runner up must have or open a Jewson credit account (the requirements for opening a Jewson credit account can be found by following this link https://www.jewson.co.uk/choose-account and the process requires the verification of the directors / owners of the relevant business and credit checks). There is no cash alternative for the prize except that if a winner / runner up does not have a Jewson credit account and does not wish to open a Jewson credit account or is not eligible to do so then the Promoter shall discuss with the winner / runner up the provision of an alternative prize of equivalent value (which the Promoter will select at its discretion, for example, shopping vouchers).
34. The prize is not negotiable or transferable.
35. Jewson account credit must be used by the account holder within 12 months of the date it was awarded. Jewson account credit not used within the 12-month period will expire and be removed from the relevant account.
36. Recipients of Jewson credit may be subject to an additional tax liability as a result of their receipt of the credit for which the Promoter accepts no liability.
a. personal data received relating to the Awards will be shared and used for the purpose of administration, judging and promotion of the Awards; and
b. information and images used in nominations, and further information received in respect of the nominated building project and builder / business may be used for marketing and promotional purposes (including on the Promoter’s social media channels and via other PR including local and trade press) in respect of the Awards and future similar awards.
38. Shortlisted nominees and winners may be requested to take part in publicity.
39. Nothing in these Terms shall exclude or limit the Promoter’s liability for death or personal injury caused by their negligence or for any other liability which cannot be excluded or limited by law.
40. Insofar as is permitted by law, the Promoter, its agents or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate any person or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of the operation of the Awards except where it is caused by the negligence of the Promoter, its agents or distributors or that of their employees.
41. The Promoter does not accept responsibility for any fault, malfunction, damage, loss or disappointment suffered by any person howsoever arising from participating in the Awards whether due to any error, omission or other cause by the Promoter or its employees, agents or others.
42. The Promoter reserves the right to amend any element of the Awards, or foreclose the Awards, and cannot be held responsible for failure to deliver for reasons beyond its reasonable control, including, but not limited to, strike, lock-out, labour dispute, illness, act of God, natural disaster, adverse weather conditions, war, riot, civil commotion, accident, epidemic or pandemic, malicious damage, fire, flood and/or storm, compliance with law or governmental order, rule, regulation or direction, breakdown of plant, machinery or transportation. The Promoter is not responsible for any loss or damage caused to any person as a result of any of these occurrences.
43. The Promoter reserves the right to withhold, void, suspend, cancel, or amend the Awards or the prizes where it becomes necessary to do so.
44. The Promoter cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions and reserves the right to change any details related to the Awards.
45. The Promoter reserves the right to replace the prizes with an alternative of equal or higher value if circumstances beyond the Promoter's control makes it necessary to do so.
46. The Promoter reserves the right to audit all nominations for the Awards and to:
a. disqualify any nominee in the event it believes that there has been a contravention of any of these Terms,
b. exclude any nominations if it deems them ineligible; and/or
c. disqualify any nominees where those persons involved are in dispute with the Promoter for any reason whatsoever.
47. The Promoter’s decision is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
48. In the event of circumstances outside its reasonable control, the Promoter reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify or supersede the Awards in whole or in part and without prior notice or compensation but will always endeavour to minimise the effect on those involved to avoid undue disappointment.
49. The Promoter will not be responsible for technical failures or otherwise, including any failure which is within the control of Promoter, its employees or agents.
50. The Awards and these Terms are subject to the laws of England and Wales and the jurisdiction of the English courts.